Sunday, December 6, 2009

New strings on a new instrument

So here's my recently purchased (from Elderly) Loar LH-500-NA. There's some confusion in various listings as to exact specs on this model guitar, but here's what info I've been able to collect from guitar blogs: it's a solid, pressed spruce top (not carved, but many vintage 30's + 40's factory built archtops have pressed tops), laminated maple sides and back, ~24.75" scale. Purchase included a very clean (as far as I can tell, new) TKL hardshell case. Arrived strung with light gauge nickel wound strings (definitely not the proper strings for a guitar like this), but some thoughtful person (perhaps someone at Elderly?) put a D'Addario medium set in the case so I could restring it for my audition. How thoughtful! Anyway, after a couple of days checking-out at home (only adjustment after restringing was bridge height - truss rod has not been touched...!) it went out for a tryout to a couple of Scottish dance classes with the D'Addario set on, and it performed quite well. Since I started playing for SCD dances with my regular flattops I've wondered if an archtop guitar with it's reduced overtones and less bass-heavy sound would blend in better with the piano usually played at such dances; and also with the cello that I play with even more often than a piano. Fortunately, the guitar was met with approval with my musician friends; Jane the cellist has already named it "Blondie" - apparently it's a "girl" guitar, so I'll have to refer to her in the feminine from now on... (you might have noticed I don't give my instruments names, but in this case it's out of my hands; like it or not Jane will refer to this guitar as "Blondie" from now on so I had just better get used to it)
Anyway, the D'Addario medium .013-.056 set I put on seemed to be a bit loose for my taste, perhaps due to the slightly shorter scale length, so I did some research + found a set from Dean Markley with the same 1st 2nd + 3rd as most medium sets but with a slightly heavier 4th, 5th + 6th strings - sort of a medium version of my highly favored Martin M240 "Bluegrass set". So as of today (12-6-09) it's - sorry, she's strung with a Dean Markley Vintage Bronze 2006 set - .013 .017 .026w .038w .048w .058w

No comments:

Post a Comment